Mate [Maa-téé] is an infused drink, made from the dried leaves of a native South American plant. It will provide you with healthy nutrients and keep you energized.
“The health benefits of tea, the strength of coffee and the euphoria of chocolate”
Indigenous South Americans called mate “the drink of the Gods”. Today mate is said to offer “the health benefits of tea, the strength of coffee and the euphoria of chocolate” all in one beverage. Sounds good, but what’s behind it?
Mate contains a number nutrients, amino acids, polyphenols, vitamins (A, C, B, E) and minerals (magnesium, iron, calcium). This makes mate very high in antioxidants: it contains 90% more antioxidants than an average green tea. Bottomline, all these antioxidants are good for you.
Further, mate also contains caffeine, theobromine and theophylline. They increase your mental energy, clarity and focus.
Mate, a by-law-defined-national-drink
Mate is immensely popular in South America. In Argentinia, where it is defined by law as the “national infusion”, mate is arguably more popular than Messi, Evita and pope Francis* combined. Mate has a lot of tradition and folklore to it. Drinking mate is common social practice, and if you are ever to share a guampa (the special mate-cup) with an Argentinian, keep following etiquette rules and vocabulary in mind:
- The straw you drink from is called the “bombilla” – don’t call it “the straw”
- Never remove the bombilla when you are drinking
- “Cebador” is the person preparing and serving the brew
- Prepare mate with hot-but-not-boiling water
- Each person will drink all the water from the mate until you hear a sucking noise, which is not considered rude
In short, mate is:
- A nutritional powerhouse containing vitamins and minerals
- A natural energizer
- Etiquette: drinking mate the traditional-way with South-Americans can be more stressful than a dinner with your parents-in-law
- A drink from the Gods
Here’s a picture of Pope Francis drinking mate from a guampa. Proof that mate is indeed “a drink of the Gods”.
(*the current one, for those pagans among you)
Learn more on how QIQO works and our awesome ingredients:
What is the “Afternoon Dip Monster” and how to fight him:
- The Afternoon Dip Monster (coming soon)